Partners in the Parks is an NCHC outdoor experiential learning program co-sponsored by Southern Utah University and Cedar Breaks National Monument. In 2013 we will be hosting a variety of academic adventures at national parks across the country. These week-long projects include seminars led by university faculty and park rangers as well as exciting recreational opportunities to broaden participants¨understanding of the overall value of national parks to our country and its citizens. PITP programs are open to honors faculty and students from all majors and disciplines. If you are interested, send inquiries to email@example.com.
Buffalo National River, AR (May 13-19)Proposed projects for 2013
- Virgin Islands National Park, VI (May 18-25)
- Grand Canyon-Parashant, AZ (May 27-Jun 1)
- Great Basin National Park, NV (July 27-Aug 2)
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO (Aug 4-10)
- Sequoia National Park, CA (Aug 5-10)
- Olympic National Park, WA (Aug 5-11)
- Everglades National Park, FL (Dec 26-Jan 1)
What students have said¨
- I loved being in the backcountry and seeing snow in the desert.¨Zion National Park
- I loved meeting new people and sharing our thoughts and ideas. ¨Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument
- The seminars by rangers and faculty were all well done. The parks are a wonderful and difficult responsibility.¨Black Canyon of the Gunnison National park
Financial Assistance is available for Partners in the Parks. The NCHC Student Stipend award provides $300 towards participation in a 2013 Partners in the Parks project. This funding is provided to help financially challenged students participate in the academic adventures hosted through Partners in the Parks. We encourage honors administrators to promote the stipend awards and encourage qualified candidates to apply. Two stipends will be provided for each of the remaining projects in the 2013 schedule. The online application and more information are available at the PITP website: http://www.partnersintheparks.org.