Jewish Women, Jewish Men: The Legacy of Patriarchy in Jewish Life
Author: Aviva Cantor
All faculty, staff, students, and community members are invited to participate in a discussion of Aviva Cantor’s book, Jewish Women/Jewish Men: The Legacy of Patriarchy in Jewish Life. Please also join us for lecture and book signing events as listed below.
Jewish Women/Jewish Men offers a non-traditional view of gender, generational and social struggles throughout Jewish history. Author Aviva Cantor shows how every aspect of Jewish life has been affected by patriarchy and offers a liberating vision of a society transformed by humane feminist values.
Aviva Cantor is “The great synthesizer, bringing together Jewish feminism, Zionism, socialism, animal rights and concern for the environment…” Amy F. J. Stone in Jewish Women, A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia.
This event is funded in part by a Diversity and Inclusion Office Faculty/Staff Diversity Mini-Grant to Dr. Barry Mehler.
The discussion group will be led by Ferris professors and students including Barry and Caryn Mehler and Tracy Busch. For more information, Please contact Dr. Barry Mehler at email@example.com.
Book Signing Information:
- Date: 1/31/2014, FLITE 408, 12 – 1:30PM Discussion will focus on Patriarchy and Tradional Jewish Culture: An Exploration of Jewish Myth and Law Related to Sex, Marriage and Family Life.
- Date: 2/28/2014, FLITE 438, 12 – 1:30PM. Discussion will focus on Assimilation and Acculturation:An Exploration of Jewish Women’s Relationship to Israel and Communal Life.
- Date: 3/28/2014, FLITE 408, 12 – 1:30pm. Discussion will focus on The Holocaust and the Rise of Jewish Feminism.
- Public Lecture: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 11AM – 12PM, Ferris State University, BUS 111.
- Book Signing: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 3 – 5PM, Great Lakes Books
**Please note change in location for 2/28 Book Discussion Group!