The Office of Multicultural Student Services (OMSS) is now accepting applications for the 2016-2017 Multicultural Student Advisory. They encourage any student who is interested in diversity and inclusion to review the information and consider submission an application. The deadline to apply is Monday, April 18th at 5pm.
The OMSS Student Advisory is a standing council supporting the Director and Assistant Director comprised of students who represent multicultural student groups on the campus of Ferris State University. The purpose of the OMSS Multicultural Student Advisory is to:
- Strengthen connection, communication, and collaboration between multicultural organizations at FSU
- Assist OMSS in fulfilling its mission by providing feedback on programming, and support services
- Sponsor events that elevate important issues related to diversity on campus
- Advocate for the concerns of multicultural students in partnership with OMSS, to the university administration and the student body
Goals and Objectives:
- Provide feedback to OMSS staff at regularly scheduled meetings on university-wide issues, including topics pertaining to the social, emotional, academic, and professional, needs of multicultural students
- Create discussions and forums for the student body to offer input and express concerns related to diversity and inclusion
- Identify campus partners, including students, faculty, and staff, and interact with these partners to promote OMSS vision and objective
- Engage in university leadership on a regular basis and promote collaboration
Roles, Responsibilities, and Accountability:
- The Student Advisory Council will consist of 8-15 members who are expected to participate in all council meetings and contribute to standing committees (when created) and program planning. Meetings will be scheduled bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters, with Summer dates to be determined.
- OMSS Multicultural Advisory members who are unable to attend meetings should notify the OMSS Director, Assistant Director or OMSS Advisory student manager in advance. Members who miss more than 2 meetings over the course of the academic year and/or are unable to actively participate may be asked to step down in order to ensure continuity.
- Each Multicultural Advisory member will serve for one academic year, with the opportunity to reapply. There are no term limits, as experience and familiarity with University structures are important assets. Returning applicants will be asked to reflect on their involvement over the past year of service, including attendance at meetings, active participation, and person/professional growth
- The OMSS staff will review written materials and make final decisions
How to Apply:
Submit a completed copy of the application form (see below), and a copy of resume and cover letter is preferred. Any question should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 231-591-2617.