It’s that time of year again! The Honors Program is hosting the third annual Days of Service and Learning! This year, we have worked with organizations in our community to come up with a number of volunteer activities to support your commitment to service as an Honors student. Participating in one or more of these events will allow students to get started on their service work for the year as well as gain valuable knowledge and experience through working with our community.
Below are the list of events you can sign up for:
- Bulldog Beginnings Beautification Project – Wednesday, August 31st 9:00am to 6:00pm, Various FSU Campus locations
- There will be various hour to two hours long projects around campus that will involve weeding and clearing litter from flower beds, clearing litter, and sweeping crosswalks.
- Barryton Mobile Food Pantry – Saturday, September 10th 12:45 to 3:00pm, 21539 10th Ave. Barryton, MI 49305
- Help the Barryton Mobile Food Pantry unload their food donations for their monthly food pantry.
- Our Brother’s Keeper – Saturday, September 10th 10:00am to 4:00pm, 405 S 3rd Ave. Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Help the Our Brother’s Keeper shelter clean bathrooms, kitchen, walls, bunk bends, lockers, and other shelter areas. Also help them take inventory of shelter supplies. Lunch included.
- St. Mary’s Big Rapids Fun Fest – Sunday, August 11th 11:00am to 4:00pm, 927 Marion Ave. Big Rapids, MI
- Help St. Mary’s with their annual Fun Fest. Duties include helping cook dinner, running carnival games, and overseeing children on and off of inflatables/bouncy houses
- Ten 16 Network – Wednesday, September 14th 8:30am to 1:00pm, 21061 19 Mile Rd. Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Help the Ten 16 Recovery Network paint the entry way of their shelter
- Muskegon Watershed – Friday, September 16th 2:00 to 5:00pm, 226 Baldwin St. Big Rapids, MI
- Help clean up the Muskegon River while paddling around in canoes.
- Cran-Hill Ranch – Saturday, September 17th 9:00am to 3:00pm, 14444 17 Mile Rd. Rodney, MI 49342
- Help Cran-Hill Ranch remove fishing and boating docks, create new trails through the woods, paint, and perform general landscaping and maintenance. Lunch provided.
- NCTA Trail Project – Saturday, September 17th 9:00am to 4:00pm Seidman Park in Kent County
- Help the North County Trail Association create new trails through the woods, trim trees, and pull roots. This event will take place in Kent County which is near Grand Rapids.
- WISE – Saturday, September 17th 10:00am to 4:00pm WISE Shelter in Big Rapids
- Help Women’s Information Services set up the home decor that has been donated to their shelter.
- Angels of Action – Friday, September 23rd late afternoon/early evening (TBA) Trestle Bend Dr. Big Rapids, MI
- Help Angels of Action set up for their annual Angel Ride on September 24th
- Angels of Action – Saturday, September 24th all day (TBA) Trestle Bend Dr. Big Rapids, MI
- Help Angels of Action run their annual Angel Ride
- Trail Town Celebration – Saturday, September 24th 11:30am-3:30pm White Cloud, MI
- Help direct runner of a 10K and 5K at various locations along their run.
To sign up and for more, please click the name of the event you are interested in. If you have any questions, please contact Allegra Damari at AllegraDamari@ferris.edu or the student facilitator listed on the sign up sheet.