Dr. Richard Scott Cohen, Musical Director and Conductor, will be hosting the 14th Annual Veterans Day Concert on Sunday, November 13th at 4pm in Williams Auditorium.
About the Concert:
The 14th Annual Veterans Day Concert will be performed by Ferris State University’s West Central Concert Band. With this concert, we celebrate the vital role that our Veterans and Active Military Personnel have provided and continue to provide for our nation. The concert will also include the performance of a special musical selection featuring music from 5 branches of service, and we will invite our Veterans, Active Military Personnel and their Family Members to stand and be recognized upon hearing their anthem. This year’s concert will also feature The Chattanooga Commissioning Project Premier of the new piece, “Five,” by Kenyon Wilson in memory of the five fallen heroes of the 2015 Chattanooga Shootings. The concert is free and open to the public.
Participating Organizations and Individuals:
- Steve Winniger, bagpiper
- Dr. Donna Smith, announcer
- Jeff Gabalis, visual effects coordinator
- Ferris State University Student Veterans Association
- Patricia Donegan, Mid-Michigan Honor Flight, presenter
- Dr. Kristi L. Haik, Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, welcome address
- Big Rapids American Legion Post 98 Honor Guard, Jim Lindsey, coordinator
- Dr. Dale Skornia, Ferris State University Athletic Pep Band Director, guest conductor
- Jean Bennett, Holland Park Veterans & Homefront Heros Memorial, veteran speaker
- Variations on a Korean Folk – Korean War & Vietnam War
- Epilogue: “Lest We Forget” – World War II
- America First Mark – World War II
- A Cohan Salute – World War I
- Armed Forces Salute – Tributes to Veterans
- Five – Tributes to Veterans
- Star Spangled Banner (National Anthem) – Other Patriotic
- Proudly We Hail – Other Patriotic
About the Band:
The FSU West Central Concert Band (the “WCCB”) is currently celebrating its 25th Concert Season. It is comprised of talented musicians from the area, including Ferris State University students, adult community members from throughout the West Central Michigan, and talented musicians from area high school music programs. The WCCB is sponsored by Ferris State University as part of its “Music for Life!” program, and presents a series of varied and diverse concerts throughout the concert season.
For more information, please contact Dr. Richard Scott Cohen at RichardScottCohen@ferris.edu or call 231-591-2484.