This summer, the Ferris Community Band will, yet again, be holding a summer concert series. The concerts will take place at various outdoor locations throughout Big Rapids. The rain location will be Big Rapids First United Methodist Church at 304 Elm St.
About the Band
Sponsored by Ferris State University as part of its “Music is Life!” inititative, the Ferris Communuty Summer Band is celebration its 53rd year of bringing the campus and the community together – through music! It is open — at no cost — to all area adults, college students, high school students, and advanced middle school students with band experience. Ferris students may also select to take Summer Band for credit as Music 160: Symphony Band. In order to perform in a concert, musicians should attend the rehearsal beforehand. Musicians are invited to perform in as many weeks that fit their schdules. Musical friends and relatives visiting in town this summer are also welcome. To participate, either contact director Scott Cohen (231-591-2484 or RichardScottCohen@ferris.edu) or simply come to the next rehearsal!
Rehearsals are held on the Monday before each concert from 7:00pm to 9:00pm at the FSU Music Center. They will be held on Mondays June 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th, and July 2nd.
About the Concerts
Their weekly Ferris Community Summer Band Concerts are presented outdoors throughout the greater Big Rapids area, including the new Big Rapids Band Shell, the Canadian Lakes Castle, and local parks. All of them support local community endeavors such as the Roof Replacement Project at the Old Jail, the annual Spectrum Health Big Rapids Community Block Party, the Canadian Lakes Association, and the City of Big Rapids annual Band Shell Concert Series.
- Wednesday, June 6th at 7:00pm at the Old Jail lawn in Big Rapids
- Wednesday, June 13th from 7:00pm to 8:00pm at the Canadian Lakes Castle
- Wednesday, June 20th from 7:00pm to 8:00pm at the Big Rapids Band Shell
- Thursday, June 21st from 7:00pm to 8:00pm at the Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital Community Block Party at Triangle Park
- Wednesday, June 27th from 7:00pm to 8:00pm at the Big Rapids Band Shell
- Tuesday, July 3rd from 7:00pm to 8:00pm at the Big Rapids Band Shell
For more information, please contact Richard Scott Cohen at RichardScottCohen@ferris.edu or call 231-591-2484.