It’s that time of year again! The Honors Program is hosting the 4th annual Days of Service and Learning! This year, we have worked with organizations in our community to come up with a number of volunteer activities to support your commitment to service as an Honors student. Participating in one or more of these events will allow students to get started on their service work for the year as well as gain valuable knowledge and experience through working with our community.
Below are the list of events you can sign up for:
Our Brother’s Keeper – Saturday, September 9th 9:00am to 12:00pm, 405 S 3rd Ave. Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Our Brother’s Keeper is a shelter that provides temporary housing for the homeless and those looking for safety or a place to stay as they transition into more permanent housing. Student volunteers will clean, sort, and put things in lockers.
Clay Cliffs Nature Park – Saturday, September 9th 9:00am to 12:00pm, 111 Hutchinson St, Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Student volunteers will pick up little at Clay Cliffs Nature Park in Big Rapids. The Honors Program will provide gloves.
St. Mary’s Big Rapids Fun Fest – Sunday, September 10th; Shift 1: 9:00am to 1:00pm, Shift 2: 1:00pm to 4:00pm, 27 Marion Ave. Big Rapids, MI
- St. Mary’s Catholic school holds a Fun Fest each year that includes a chicken dinner, concessions, carnival games and prizes, inflatable bounce house, children’s crafts, mini raffles, family friendly music by a local DJ, and more. Student volunteers can sign up for either or both shifts.
Mecosta County Department of Health and Human Services – Friday, September 15th 1:00pm to 4:00pm, Stanwood Elementary School
- Student volunteers will sort and arrange a storage area in the Stanwood Elementary School near Big Rapids.
Big Rapids Community Garden – Saturday, September 16th 9:00am to 12:00pm, 201-299 2nd Ave, Big Rapids, MI 49307
- The Big Rapids Community Garden is a non-profit organization run by community members making gardens available to the public for a small fee. Student volunteers will help maintain the garden on Second Avenue. They will pull weeds, maintain pathways, and neaten a dirt pile. The Honors Program will provide gloves.
Cran-Hill Ranch – Saturday, September 16th 1:00pm to 5:00pm, 14444 17 Mile Rd. Rodney, MI 49342
- Cran-Hill Ranch is a Christian ranch and campground located near Big Rapids. Student volunteers will take a dock out of the water and do other manual, outdoor labor. Volunteers should dress to get wet.
- Salvation Army – Saturday, September 16th 9:00am to 1:00pm, 325 Linden St, Big Rapids, MI 49307
- The Salvation Army is a Christian organization serving the needy. Student volunteers will work at the Salvation Army store in Big Rapids. They will get to know the store, sort, and stock.
Mecosta County Commission on Aging – Saturday, September 23rd 9:00am to 12:00pm, 12954 80th Ave, Mecosta, MI 49332
- The Mecosta County Commission on Aging serves elderly clients in many ways. There will be two groups of student volunteers needed. The first group will help do yard work and the second group will help a client box up her belongings to move.
Habitat for Humanity – Saturday, September 23rd 10:00am to 1:00pm, 18387 Northland Dr, Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope. Student volunteers will work in the Habitat for Humanity store. They will receive training and then do sorting and cleaning.
WISE – Saturday, September 23rd 1:00pm to 5:00pm, WISE Shelter in Big Rapids
- WISE provides crisis intervention and support services to survivors of domestic and sexual violence. Student volunteers will be painting and should wear cloths that can get messy.
To sign up and for more information, please click the name of the event or shift you are interested in. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Bordeau at or the student facilitator listed on the sign up sheet.